Marijuana Withdrawal, Duration, and Clearing Your System of Weed
Whether you’re trying to pass a drug test or just looking to speed up the detoxification process so that you can quit smoking weed, there are many misleading claims about how you can remove traces of THC from your body quickly.
When you stop using weed, you will undergo a natural detox process that rids the body of toxins and metabolites associated with cannabis use.
However, the time frame to test clear depends on a number of factors, including the amount of weed you’ve been using. Here’s what you need to know.
How Long Does Weed Stay In Your System?
The key compound in cannabis is tetrahydrocannabinol (“THC”), which is what drug tests look for when determining if you’ve been taking weed.
While the effects of THC only last a few hours, there are other signs of weed use that will show on a drug test potentially for months after your last use. These are known as THC metabolites.
The body produces metabolites as a result of breaking down cannabis, and they can stick around in the body for a long time. So, in order to truly detox your system, you need to get all THC and its metabolites out before a drug test comes back clear.
With that said, the amount of time different drug tests can detect THC metabolites varies.
- Urine sample tests can detect cannabis use for about three days in one-time users and up to 30 days in heavy users.
- Saliva swab testscan typically detect cannabis use for about a day, but they can detect it for up to three days in some cases.
- Hair follicle drug tests can detect cannabis use for up to 90 days after the last use.
- Blood tests can detect cannabis use for only about 3-4 hours.
The difference in detection time among these tests relates to how the body processes cannabis. But, does this mean it’s simply a waiting game?
If you’re looking to speed up a marijuana detox, there’s no shortage of information on the internet, but it’s not always reliable or accurate, so let’s take a closer look.
Recovering from addiction requires customized treatment from a caring team of professionals. If you’re ready to learn more about your options, Zinnia Health can help. Call our helpline at (855) 430-9439 today.
What Are The Best THC Detox Methods?
The need to detox your body quickly may arise from an upcoming drug test or the desire to get past all the side effects of withdrawal so that you can quit weed for good.
Whatever your motivation is, it’s important to approach the situation with caution because there are countless THC detox products on the market that promise unrealistic results.
These kits often come in the form of THC detox drinks, which typically add up to nothing more than fast-acting diuretics that will simply make you go to the bathroom more.
If you’re trying to get weed out of your system quickly, taking detox pills might sound like a good idea at first, but it doesn’t speed up the THC detoxification process.
Likewise, while drinking lots of water can produce a false negative by diluting the urine, it only draws further attention to your sample. If anything, drinking water in excess before taking a urine drug test can lead to additional suspicion over you purposefully trying to dilute your results.
Almost as soon as marijuana enters your body, your system begins breaking it down, resulting in metabolites. Those metabolites are stored in various places, including fat cells, and drinking more water will not speed up the body’s ability to process them.
Several home remedies also promise to get your body ultra clean, like drinking cranberry juice, taking a tablespoon of lemon juice, downing apple cider vinegar, or loading up on vitamin C.
These recommendations likely sprout from the fact that these substances contain antioxidants, but there’s no evidence showing they will help you detoxify your body of weed or any other substance.
How Do I Rid My Body of THC Quickly?
Detox programs do exist that can help you clean weed out of your system, but it’s not possible to achieve a one-day detox or even a seven-day detox.
For heavy users, they might not be able to pass a urine test for a month or more, and hair tests can show positive for up to three months, even in lighter users.
Factors like your body mass also impact how long it takes to detox since additional fat means your body may store extra metabolites.
Ultimately, if you want to get clean from weed, there’s no quick fix.
THC cleansing starts the moment you stop using weed, whether you choose to quit on your own or with the help of experienced substance use professionals.
If you choose to quit weed with the help of a detox center, you may be able to lessen some of the side effects of weed withdrawal, eliminate the risk of relapse, and get on the track to long-term recovery.
A detox center can help ensure a more effective detox by:
- Eliminating weed and other substances from your system, including alcohol (which can dampen kidney function, thereby impacting the detox process)
- Focusing on your overall wellness, which includes making sure you get enough water and eating a balanced diet with lots of dietary fiber
- Ensuring your immediate comfort and providing help with anxiety, depression, drug cravings, and any other challenges you may face
- Helping you focus on your long-term healthcare and personal goals, which may include music therapy, group discussions, skills training, and more
While there’s no such thing as a THC detox kit or quick fix when it comes to cleansing weed from your system, there are legitimate detox centers that can help you through the process on your own time.
How To Clean THC From Your System
Utilize the following steps to clear THC quickly from your system:
- Eat healthy, nutrient-dense foods.
- Drink plenty of water and clear beverages.
- Reduce or eliminate coffee or caffeine. This helps anxiety and insomnia.
- Keep a regular exercise routine to boost your mood and overall health.
- Take hot baths or showers to ease physical or mental discomfort and promote relaxation.
How Zinnia Health Can Help With Weed Addiction
With customized treatment, advanced programs, and caring staff, Zinnia Health is the clear choice for detox and recovery. Are you ready to take the next step?
You can reach us on our website or through our 24/7 helpline by calling (855) 430-9439.