Hawaii Rehab Centers for Drugs & Alcohol
There are multiple addiction treatment centers across the Aloha State of Hawaii. Health insurance, including Hawaii Medicaid, covers at least some treatment costs associated with rehab and drug abuse treatment on the Big Island and all the others. Hawaii residents, both adolescents and adults suffering the effects of drug use and addiction, may also qualify for substance abuse treatment grants and other payment options.
Are you or someone you love suffering from a substance abuse addiction or alcohol use disorder? Zinnia Health uniquely tailors drug and alcohol treatment services to every client. Call our compassionate addiction specialists at (855) 430-9439 to learn more about our Zinnia Health treatment locations.
How Many Rehab Centers are Available in Hawaii?
There are currently 111 registered substance use disorder treatment facilities in the state of Hawaii, according to FindTreatment.gov. All rehab centers in Hawaii incorporate some level of mental health care into addiction treatment, but just 11 facilities are equipped to address severe mental health disorders, such as PTSD or depression. If you have a co-occurring disorder, you should look for a rehab center specializing in dual diagnosis treatment in the context of addiction recovery.
Thankfully, these rehab centers are spread out evenly across the island chain, with several located in the Big Island’s major cities. You can even find rehabs in the state’s more rural areas. Hopefully, there’s an addiction treatment center near you with programs that suit your needs.
Where in Hawaii Are Rehab Treatment Centers Located?
Drug rehab centers in Hawaii tend to be concentrated in the most populous areas of the state. As of 2023, Hawaii’s most populous counties include:
- Honolulu County: Honolulu is the most populated city and county in the state and has the densest concentration of substance abuse treatment and rehabilitation facilities.
- Hawaii County: The Island of Hawaii also has many substance use and mental health treatment programs. Unlike Honolulu’s rehab centers which, while densely concentrated, are found throughout Honolulu, Hawaii’s rehabs are limited to the island’s coastal areas.
- Maui County: Maui Island is just north of Hawaii and offers six substance abuse treatment centers.
If you live in a rural area like Kalawao County (population: 90), an inpatient treatment program could help save you the cost of traveling to Honolulu or Hilo regularly.
In rural areas like this, outpatient treatment is possible through telehealth appointments provided by local healthcare specialists. Over 25 of Hawaii’s recovery centers offer some form of telehealth, teletherapy, or telemedicine service.
With a wide range of flexible programs available, anyone in Hawaii has access to addiction treatment programs, even if there isn’t a facility nearby and even if they lack transportation to on-site healthcare appointments.
How to Choose the Best Rehab in Hawaii for You
Addiction treatment options have come a long way, and the best programs are customized to meet the unique needs of each individual, whether you want around-the-clock guidance or you’re planning to rely on your own support system.
To find the best rehab in Hawaii:
- Research your options: Review reliable resources such as reputable websites, testimonials, and reviews from past clients to gain insights into different rehab centers in the Hawaiian Islands. Look for accreditations, certifications, and staff qualifications. Does the facility have a comprehensive range of treatment options that can address your specific needs?
- Call rehab centers with any questions you have: Reach out to the rehab centers that pique your interest and ask questions. Inquire about their treatment philosophies, therapies offered, staff-to-patient ratio, aftercare programs, and success rates. A reputable rehab center will be open, transparent, and willing to provide the necessary information to help you make an informed decision.
- Urban vs. rural treatment centers: Reflect on whether you prefer a rehab center close to home for family support or a more secluded setting that promotes a retreat-like environment. The natural beauty of all the Hawaiian Islands can provide a serene backdrop for healing, but it’s essential to find a location that suits your personal circumstances and comfort level.
- Ask your primary care provider for recommendations: Reach out to healthcare professionals, therapists, or individuals who have gone through rehab themselves. Their insights and experiences can provide valuable guidance and help you make an informed choice.
- Trust your gut: While researching, gathering information, and getting opinions are crucial, at the end of the day — what’s the vibe you get? Trust your intuition. Pay attention to how you connect with the rehab center’s staff and how they interact with you. In addition, notice whether current clients are around and how staff interacts with them. Check out the atmosphere, the cleanliness of shared areas, and the overall vibe of the facility. Your intuition can often guide you toward the right choice.
Factors to Consider
Addiction recovery is a type of mental health treatment highly unique according to individual needs. Some aspects to consider when choosing a facility include the following:
- Type of treatment: Determine whether you need residential or outpatient care. Inpatient residential programs provide 24-hour support and structured living environments, while outpatient programs allow patients to live at home and attend therapy sessions during the day.
- Treatment approaches: Research different behavioral health approaches used by various facilities, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), motivational interviewing (MI), or family therapy. It’s important to find the find treatment approach for you because each type of therapy may offer different results.
- Credentials and licensing: Ensure that your chosen facility is accredited by organizations like The Joint Commission or CARF International, which indicates high-quality standards of care.
- Amenities and services: Consider what additional services might benefit your recovery process, such as holistic therapies, nutritional counseling, recreational activities, and aftercare programs.
- The substance you’re using. The recovery process looks different for alcohol than for methamphetamine or prescription drugs. Finding a facility with a track record of success in helping people overcome addictions to the substance(s) you’re using matters.
- If mental health conditions are a concern. Receiving proper diagnosis, support, treatment, and sober living life skills directions for any mental health condition throughout rehab is essential to holistic, lasting recovery.
- If you prefer being among peers. Peer support is an integral part of recovery. Some facilities may have larger populations of ex-military members, young adults, LGBTQ+ community members, and so on, which could help you decide where you’d like to begin your sobriety journey.
Zinnia Health California
A short flight from Hawaii, Zinnia Health has two locations in California offering substance abuse treatment and rehabilitation services to help you begin your road to recovery, sobriety, and overall wellness.
Recognizing the unique needs of individuals on their journey to healing, Zinnia Health provides gender-specific housing, ensuring a safe and supportive environment that fosters open communication and camaraderie among peers. This specialized approach acknowledges the distinct challenges and dynamics men and women face in addiction recovery.
Our Zinnia Health California locations are:
- Zinnia Health Newport Beach offers residential treatments for men and women in separate spaces.
- Zinnia Health Serenity Lodge is a men’s-only facility offering programs for men 18 and older.
Zinnia Health’s dedication to holistic approaches also provides a comprehensive framework for addressing the pain points of addiction. Beyond conventional therapies, the center integrates the transformative power of yoga, offering a holistic approach that nurtures the mind, body, and spirit.
Zinnia Health offers substance abuse treatment facilities in California, Colorado, Indiana, Rhode Island, and Florida, providing best-in-class treatment programs and telehealth services for anyone seeking lasting recovery and a life free from substance use. Call us at (855) 430-9439 to learn more.
Does Insurance Cover Drug & Alcohol Rehab in Hawaii?
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) made treatment for substance abuse an “essential benefit,” which means your insurance is always required to cover at least a portion of the treatment costs. The specific details of coverage — like whether you need to work with an “in-network” provider — depend on your insurance carrier and your specific coverage plan.
- Medicaid/Medicare: Hawaii Medicaid covers various levels of care for substance use disorders, including detoxification services and outpatient counseling. Medicare offers the same protections and coverages, but eligibility requirements are stricter.
- Private insurance plans: Private insurers like Cigna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, and Aetna often offer coverage for addiction treatments. The extent of coverage depends on individual policies.
- Military insurance (TRICARE): TRICARE provides comprehensive mental health and substance use disorder benefits to eligible military personnel and their families.
If you’re unsure about your insurance options or need assistance finding a suitable rehab facility in Idaho that accepts your insurance plan, call Zinnia Health at (855) 430-9439. Our team can help you explore treatment options, including faith-based rehab, medical detox, and addiction treatment. We also offer treatment admissions and relapse prevention services to help you or your loved one overcome alcohol addiction. Contact us today to learn more.
Do All Rehab Centers in Hawaii Treat Alcohol & Drug Addiction?
Most rehab facilities in Hawaii can help with substance use treatment. Of the state’s treatment centers, 27 offer detox services for drug and alcohol users.
Common types of treatment centers include:
- Inpatient treatment: These facilities provide round-the-clock care and support for individuals with severe addiction issues. They typically offer detoxification services, therapy sessions, and medical supervision throughout the recovery process.
- Outpatient treatment: With outpatient treatment, individuals can continue their journey while living in the comforts of home. These programs become the bridge between independence and support, offering a flexible approach for those with milder addictions or those who have completed an inpatient program.
- Dual diagnosis treatment:Dual diagnosis centers address co-occurring mental health disorders alongside addiction treatment. If you struggle with depression, anxiety, other mental health concerns, and substance abuse, consider seeking a dual diagnosis facility.
While the other facilities offer valuable mental and behavioral services that can benefit someone recovering from addiction, they do not have the specialized knowledge necessary to help an individual safely navigate the detox and recovery process.
How to Find a Drug & Alcohol Rehab Treatment Help Near You
The following resources are also available, completely free of charge:
- Hawaii substance abuse hotlines
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meetings in Hawaii
- Narcotics Anonymous meetings in Hawaii
The national Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) also offers free resources to help you find the rehabilitation center that’s right for you.
What Is the Typical Cost of Rehab in Hawaii?
Addiction treatment costs vary widely depending on your location and the treatment program you choose. Outpatient treatment services are the most affordable, while inpatient hospitalization is the most expensive. However, grants and insurance can cover some or all of the costs.
Across the board, treatment costs typically start at:
- $1,750 for medical detox programs
- $6,000/month for inpatient rehabilitation programs
- $5,000 for a 90-day outpatient rehab program
These numbers do not represent your out-of-pocket costs. The total amount you pay for treatment may be far lower than these numbers if you have insurance or qualify for a grant program. Certain facilities also offer free treatment to eligible individuals with the help of donations.
Regardless of your financial situation, don’t hesitate to reach out for help with your addiction. You will never be turned away from substance abuse services, regardless of your ability to pay. Getting you the essential care you need is the top priority of all treatment providers.
These are some questions we receive from individuals searching for treatment:
What Is the Rehab Hotline to Call for Hawaii?
If you’re looking for addiction rehab centers in Hawaii, dial (855) 430-9439 to connect with an addiction specialist at Zinnia Health. This free helpline is open 24/7 to answer questions related to treatment programs, insurance coverage, and grants. If you or a loved one is experiencing a crisis, dial 911 immediately.
Can You Detox in Hawaii?
Yes, detox programs are available in Hawaii to help you withdraw safely from substance use. Detox centers may use a tapering schedule or provide medication-assisted treatment (MAT) to reduce withdrawal symptoms and protect your health. The detox process can be uncomfortable and potentially dangerous, so getting help from a specialist is critical.
Is Detox the Same as Rehab?
No. The terms are often used interchangeably, but detox and rehab are different portions of a treatment program. Rehab refers to the entire process of recovering from addiction. Detox is the first step of rehabilitation, but it’s only a small part of the recovery process. Following a detox, you’ll continue with a rehab program that incorporates mental and behavioral health, along with counseling and peer support groups.
How Long Does a Typical Stay at a Detox Center in Hawaii Last?
Once enrolled in a Hawaii detox center, you can expect your stay to last about three to seven days or more. This period depends on the substances you’ve been using, how much you’re taking, and how long you’ve been taking it.
Are There Emergency Detox Centers in Hawaii?
There are emergency detox centers in Hawaii to help people experiencing a crisis. Any emergency room across the state is equipped to handle addiction. There are also dedicated detox centers that may provide more specialized care and a different environment compared to an ER.
Are There Any Free Detox Centers in Hawaii?
Hawaii offers a list of state-funded detox and treatment facilities, and you may be eligible if you have no means of paying for addiction treatment. You can call our rehab hotline at (855) 430-9439 if you need help locating one of these free programs.
At Zinnia Health, we understand that overcoming addiction is difficult and overwhelming. We offer hope by providing a safe, healing environment where individuals can recover from the effects of drug and alcohol abuse. Call our 24-hour hotline at (855) 430-9439 today.