By: Zinnia Healing Editorial Staff | Edited By: Rebecca Hill
Baclofen Detox Center
Baclofen is a prescription painkiller used to treat muscle stiffness and tightness (known as “spasticity”) caused by spinal cord injuries, certain diseases, and multiple sclerosis. It belongs to a class of drugs known as muscle relaxants. By acting on nerves in the spinal cord, it can decrease muscle spasms, relieve pain, and improve mobility. However, misusing baclofen can lead to an addicting feeling of euphoria. Recovering from baclofen abuse means going through a detox period.
If you or someone you love is suffering from baclofen addiction, Zinnia Healing can help. Our caring team can answer your questions; call us at (855) 430-9439 for a confidential conversation about your treatment options.
What Is a Baclofen Detox?
The use of baclofen is FDA-approved for managing muscle spasticity. However, if someone begins taking baclofen in higher doses than prescribed or mixing it with other substances, the elated “high” feeling that results can lead to substance use disorder (SUD), better known as drug addiction. Even if someone takes baclofen under medical supervision, long-term drug use can lead to physical dependence.
Dependence is marked by changes in the central nervous system as the body adapts to the constant presence of a drug. Physical dependence differs from psychological dependence (also known as drug addiction), but they often feed into each other. In any case, someone who is physically dependent on baclofen will need to go through a withdrawal period if they stop taking the drug.
The withdrawal period is one of the hardest parts of addiction treatment. When you stop taking a drug, you might experience severe drug cravings along with other side effects, which can last for one to two weeks or more and potentially cause a relapse. In order to manage the uncomfortable physical and psychological symptoms of withdrawal, many individuals choose to work with a recovery center.
This process is known as a medical detox. During a medical detox, professionals at the drug rehab center will manage the symptoms of baclofen withdrawal and their impact on your mental and physical well-being. Along the way, they will help you cope with the symptoms and take steps to minimize the long-term effects on your health.
If you have questions about the available treatment options, Zinnia Healing can give you answers. Reach out to our team at (855) 430-9439 for more information.
Baclofen Withdrawal Symptoms
When you stop taking baclofen, you must go through an unavoidable period known as withdrawal. In most cases, baclofen withdrawal lasts anywhere from one to two weeks, which is how long your detox program will last. Some symptoms you might experience include:
- Increased spasticity (muscle tightness and/or stiffness)
- Low blood pressure
- Itching and tingling sensations
- Visual changes
If you or a loved one is mixing baclofen with another substance, such as alcohol, they may experience additional withdrawal symptoms. Following the detox process, it’s important that they also get help with other instances of substance use to ensure lasting recovery.
Types of Baclofen Detox Programs
Overcoming drug abuse can significantly affect your physical and mental health, especially if you’ve been diagnosed with a mental health condition in the past. Instead of trying to quit on your own, which can be uncomfortable and even dangerous, it’s important to consider all the treatment programs available to you. The most common options include:
- Inpatient treatment at a hospital, where you stay for the length of the detox, which is recommended for high-risk individuals, such as those predisposed to certain health conditions or potential side effects like organ failure
- Outpatient treatment to continue residing at home and attend meetings multiple times a week, generally reserved for individuals with a strong support network and healthy home environment
- Inpatient treatment at a residential treatment center where you can recover in the comfort of a supportive, judgment-free, homelike facility with 24/7 care from professional staff
The recovery process looks different for everyone. Choosing the program that’s right for you and your lifestyle is critical to getting on the path to long-term recovery. In many cases, individuals may start with a higher level of care — such as hospital or residential treatment — for the initial detox and recovery period and then transition to an outpatient program so they can gradually return to daily life. Your recovery team can help you decide when it’s time to take the next step.
How to Find a Detox Center Near Me
The effects of baclofen can be severe, which is why finding a treatment center that’s prepared to help you through the detox and withdrawal process is critical. Some key considerations when comparing your options include:
- Your substance use history: If you’re facing an alcohol addiction or other instances of substance abuse alongside baclofen use, it’s important to work with a facility that has experience with all of them. For example, the steps needed to treat alcohol addiction are very different from opioid addiction. You deserve a team capable of supporting you through the entire process.
- Your mental status: Is the facility well-equipped to help you work through any mental health challenges you may be trying to overcome, such as depression or anxiety? Drug addiction and withdrawal can worsen these conditions, so it’s essential they have experience managing them.
- Your healthcare needs: If you’ve been diagnosed with a condition such as cerebral palsy or another physical health problem, the facility you choose needs to be accommodating to that condition and experienced with the intricacies of managing such a diagnosis during drug recovery.
- Your lifestyle and preferences: The treatment center you choose should be ready and willing to work with you to accommodate your lifestyle needs and preferences. For instance, if you want to continue working, going to school, or living at home with your family, the facility should be able to customize an outpatient program to meet your requirements.
Ultimately, when you interact with any treatment center, you should be left with the impression that they care about you and your unique journey.
The Benefits of Detoxing at Zinnia Healing
At Zinnia Healing, we understand that seeking help for substance use is a difficult step, but it’s the first thing you need to do to get on the path to recovery. When you choose to call on our team to help you through the process, you can expect:
- Customized treatment in a warm, supportive environment
- Experienced professional staff available 24/7
- Holistic care that will prepare you for a healthy, fulfilled life
- A variety of programs suited to your interests and goals
Recovering from baclofen addiction takes personalized treatment. Zinnia Healing can help. Contact us at (855) 430-9439 to learn more about baclofen addiction and recovery.