These alcohol addiction and recovery quotes will motivate you to believe in yourself, rise above failure, never stop trying, and take the road to recovery. Curbing your drinking habit is no easy task, but there are many ways to fight alcohol dependence. While willpower alone might not be enough, inspirational quotes can improve your self-esteem.
According to a resource published by the U.S. Department of Justice, low self-esteem is associated with substance abuse, including alcohol. So, it stands to reason that addiction quotes may give you that little extra push you need to keep going.
If you’ve been looking for ways to feel more motivated to control your drinking or wondering what to say to encourage a recovering alcoholic, look no further. We’ve gathered inspirational alcohol quotes to help you and your loved one recover to a sober life.
The Journey of Alcohol Recovery
You may be unable to control yourself because you feel anxious or irritable when you’re not drinking. The decision to get help starts with believing in yourself. The only one who can take that first step to wellness for you is you.
7 Motivational Quotes About Recovery AND Believing in Yourself
- “The beginning is perhaps more difficult than anything else, but keep heart; it will turn out all right.” ― Vincent Van Gogh
- “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Believe you can, and you’re halfway there.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
- “Your beliefs become your thoughts, your thoughts become your words, your words become your actions, your actions become your habits, your habits become your values, your values become your destiny.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
- “Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle.” — Christian D. Larson
- “Believe in yourself, and you will be unstoppable.” — Emily Guay
- “You are the author of your story, and you get to decide how it ends. Believe in the power of your choices.” — Unknown
The Challenge of Relapse and Rising Above
It’s challenging to fight alcohol addiction because it affects your brain’s reward center. When you drink, it can make you feel less anxious or handle social situations. When you stop drinking, the opposite happens as you experience withdrawal symptoms.
You’ll start craving alcohol to avoid those negative feelings, and the cycle of alcohol addiction repeats itself over and over.
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) refers to AUD as a chronic relapsing disorder. If you continue to hit rock bottom, you’ve got to get back up and stay up. (1)
7 Addiction Recovery Quotes About Rising Above Failure
- “Failure is a detour, not a dead-end street.” ― Zig Ziglar
- “Recovery is an acceptance that your life is in shambles and you have to change it.” — Jamie Lee Curtis
- “Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “You may have made mistakes, but that doesn’t mean you are a failure. Your past does not define you; you are prepared by it.” — Unknown
- “Remember, just because you hit bottom doesn’t mean you have to stay there.” ― Robert Downey Jr
- “Experience has taught me that there is one chief reason why some people succeed and others fail. The difference is not one of knowing but of doing. The successful man is not so superior in ability as in action. So far as success can be reduced to a formula, it consists of this: doing what you know you should do.” ― Roger Babson
- “Recovery is not a race. You don’t have to feel guilty if it takes you longer than you thought it would.” — Unknown
The Impact of Alcohol on Well-being
Many signs and symptoms reveal that drinking alcohol may do more harm than good, such as spending a lot of time drinking, letting drinking interfere with taking care of your responsibilities, and so on.
The extent to which you have addiction varies from mild AUD (2 to 3 symptoms) to moderate AUD (4 to 5 symptoms) to severe AUD (6 or more symptoms). (3)
Regardless of where you stand, excessive drinking and drug addiction can lead to unpleasant consequences, including health problems, birth defects during pregnancy, injuries, and even death. The good news is that alcoholism is treatable, and you can make a move toward sober living.
8 Inspirational Quotes About Never Giving Up
- “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” ― Confucius
- “Courage isn’t having the strength to go on ― it’s going on when you have no strength.” ― Napoleon Bonaparte
- “You just can’t beat the person who won’t give up.” — Babe Ruth
- “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” — Thomas Edison
- “Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t―you’re right.” ― Henry Ford
- “I can’t imagine how anyone can say: “I’m weak,” and then remain so. After all, if you know it, why not fight against it, why not try to train your character? The answer was: “Because it’s so much easier not to!” ― Anne Frank
- “The darkest hour is only sixty minutes.” — Morris Mandel
- “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.” — Winston Churchill
Embracing Treatment for a New Start
Evidence has proven that several approaches are effective at treating alcohol dependence. These include medications, behavioral therapy, and support groups. (4)
According to the WV Office of Drug Control Policy, people with AUD aren’t taking advantage of treatment centers: less than 10% received any treatment, and less than 4% were prescribed an FDA-approved medication in the past year. (5)
You may be avoiding getting help for any reason, including these common barriers to substance use disorder treatment. Remember, it will be worth it and affect the rest of your life.
7 Recovery Quotes About Alcohol Addiction Recovery
- “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” ― Carl Bard
- “Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
- The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” — Socrates
- “Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.” ― Robert Collier
- “If you can quit for a day, you can quit for a lifetime.” ― Benjamin Alire Sáenz
- “Addiction begins with the hope that something ‘out there’ can instantly fill up the emptiness inside.” — Jean Kilbourne
- “Recovery is something that you have to work on every single day, and it’s something that doesn’t get a day off.” — Demi Lovato
The Path Forward with Zinnia Health: Quit Drinking Today
While addiction recovery quotes can work wonders for boosting your self-esteem, alcohol is a highly addictive drug that’s difficult to stop using.
Alcoholism can be a dark place to live in, but you’re not alone if you’re a drinker. Well over 1 million people seek treatment for their substance use disorder ― and you can too.
Zinnia Health offers a wide range of alcohol use disorder treatment programs, making it easy to get the help you need. We can develop a recovery plan that’s customized just for you. Get started by speaking to one of our alcohol addiction professionals at (855) 430-9439 today ― we’re standing by 24/7.